About the Village’s Finance Department

All financial matters for the Village of Lumby are directed through the Finance Department. Headed by the Financial Officer, the department is staffed by 3 individuals who administer the following areas of responsibility:

  • Financial Management & Financial Planning – A requirement under the Local Government Act is for the Village to prepare a five-year annual financial plan or budget. In addition there must be a public consultation process prior to the plan being adopted by Council on May 15th. The Village holds meetings where the budget receives a detailed review by Council.
  • Cash, Portfolio, and Debt Management – The Village manages cash balances and we are tasked with investing surplus cash to maximize the return on investment, ensuring that the investment is secure and taxpayer’s funds are not at risk. The investments must also provide for correct timing to ensure that funds are available as required to meet the Village’s commitments. Our department initiates the required bylaws and supporting information related to long and short term borrowing, maintaining the records related to these borrowings, including the value of sinking funds associated with long-term debt.
  • Accounting and Payroll Services – The accounting records for the Village are maintained by our office. We provide periodic financial statements for both internal and external use, prepare the annual budget, and advise both Council and other Departments on budget impacts of current events or upcoming issues.
  • Collection of Tax and Utility Fees – We are open to the public between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM (closed from noon to 1:00 pm for lunch) Monday to Friday (closed statutory holidays) to receive payment for all fees and charges levied by the Village. These include utility bills, property tax notices, other invoices, business licences, building permits, development fees, and miscellaneous fees. The Village generally accepts cash, cheques and debit cards. Under certain circumstances there may be a requirement for payment by way of a certified cheque or bank draft. To avoid line-ups, particularly during due dates for taxes and utilities, you are encouraged to drop-off or mail in post dated cheques. However, you must ensure that these payments are received prior to the due date to avoid a penalty.
  • To view your utilities online please click here.
  • Financial Reporting and Analysis – We also liaise with the Council appointed auditors for the complete audit of the financial records and attestation of the accurateness and reasonableness of the annual financial statements 
    Cemetery – The Village is responsible for the operation of Cemetery, the sale of cemetery plots, internment permits, marker permits, scheduling burials and the maintenance of burial records. The operation of the cemetery is subject to the Provincial laws and regulations as well as the Village bylaw. The Village bylaw provides for control of plot sizes, headstone markers, flower stands and related items. It also provides for fees for internments and related costs.
  • Policy Development and Financial Advice
  • Insurance Claims and Risk Management
  • ICBC and Motor Vehicle – The Village provides ICBC services for Autoplan renewal, etc. Motor Vehicle transactions such as Drivers Licence renewal. BC ID application, Traffic Fine payments and Road Test study guides are also available.

Questions about your property taxes? Read our Frequently Asked Questions Section.

2024 Tax Planning is Underway

On November 20 2023, the Finance Department presented the Draft Capital Budget to Council. The capital budget provided Mayor and Council with information about upcoming projects and sought direction before the Financial Budgeting process begins. Council adopted the draft as presented. It includes capital projects such general infrastructure, buildings, vehicles, wastewater, sewer, flood mitigation, and more. Capital projects can be funded in a variety of ways including grants, taxation, savings, and borrowing. The Draft Capital Projects may be subject to change.

2023 Tax Rates

Council considered and adopted the 2023 Village of Lumby Annual Tax and Special Rates Bylaw No. 883, 2023 at its Regular Council Meeting dated Monday May 15, 2023.

2023 Financial Plan Adopted April 17, 2023

At its’ Regular Meeting dated February 21, 2023 Council gave first reading to Financial Plan Bylaw No. 881, 2023. The bylaw was then published in the Lumby Valleys Times as well as placed onto the Village’s website to engage the public in participating and providing comments on the Financial Plan. Public consultation report dated April 3, 2023 from the Chief Financial Officer attached for information. Council considered the report from the Chief Financial Officer dated April 3, 2023 titled 2023 – 2027 Financial Plan and gave 2nd and 3rd reading to the bylaw at its’ Regular meeting dated April 3, 2023.

Council considered and adopted Bylaw No. 881, 2023 at its Regular Meeting April 17, 2023.

Public Consultation for the 2023-2027 Financial Plan

The 2023-2027 Financial Plan (Bylaw No. 881, 2023) is now available for public viewing and consultation.
The 2023-2027 Financial Plan report is available below or by pick up at the Municipal Office (1775 Glencaird Street) during regular business hours. Comments can also be emailed to info@lumby.ca. Please submit comments no later than March 13th at 4:00 pm.

Report to Council

Village of Lumby Financial Plan Bylaw No. 881, 2023

Annual Reports

Financial Statements

Financial Plans (Public Consultation)

Financial Plans

Historical Tax Rates

Water Rates

Sewer Rates

Purchasing Policies

Hired Equipment Prequalification Registration


About your Property Taxes

Taxation on property is the primary source of municipal revenue. The Local Government Act, which is a Provincial Act, sets out in detail the regulations for property taxation.

If you have questions about your tax assessment please read through the following frequently asked questions section. If you cannot find the information you are looking for, please contact the Village office. Our friendly professionals in the Finance Department will be pleased to help you.

How are taxes calculated?

The assessed value of property for tax purposes is determined by the British Columbia Assessment Authority. The Authority is established under provincial legislation, and is independent of the municipality. The Village is not involved in determining assessed values.

This video gives a quick example of how property assessments relate to property taxes.

Council does not have the power to adjust the taxes on individual properties. The taxes are set by the tax rate which applies to that class of property.

For instance, if the tax rate for residential property is $7 per $1,000 of assessed values, then ALL residential properties must be charged this rate.

What is the tax rate?

The tax rate is set every fiscal year by Council after the assessments have been completed by the provincial government. The tax rate is expressed as a dollar amount on every $1,000 of assessed value. The formula for calculating taxes on property is = Tax rate x assessed property value.

For example: If the tax rate for residential property is 7, this means that taxes of $7 are charged on every $1,000 of assessed value. Property valued at $100,000 would be charged taxes of $700 (100 x $7); Property valued at $200,000 would be charged taxes of $1,400 (200 x $7).

The amount of money to be raised through taxation is set by Council through the budget process, but other aspects of the taxation process, such as the due date for taxes and the penalty on late taxes, are regulated by the Local Government Act.

What other taxes are included on my annual Tax Notice?

Your annual tax notice includes ALL property taxes – those imposed by the Village and those imposed by other governing jurisdictions. The Village of Lumby collects and remits taxes on behalf of these others as follows:

School TaxesThese are remitted to the Provincial Government
Shuswap HospitalThese are remitted to the Columbia Shuswap Hospital District
N O HospitalThese are remitted to the North Okanagan Hospital District
RDNO (Land)These are remitted to the Regional District of North Okanagan for functions based on Land Assessments only
RDNO (Imp)These are remitted to the Regional District of North Okanagan for functions based on Improvements Assessments only.
Assessment Authority TaxesThese are the BC Assessment Authority taxes
Municipal Finance Authority TaxThese are the Municipal Finance Authority taxes
OK LibraryThese are taxes imposed by the Okanagan Regional Library Board.

All of these tax levies are NOT set by the Village, but are collected by the Village on behalf of those governing jurisdictions. This is more efficient and economical than each of these tax authorities sending individual tax notices. Your Village Council sets the rates only for Village taxes and Local Services Taxes.

The annual Tax Notice has the Home Owner Grant Application form attached. This form MUST be completed each year to claim the grant

When are taxes due?

Property taxes cover the fiscal year – January 1 to December 31 – and are due the first business day in July. Under the Local Government Act, the municipality must charge a 10% penalty on late taxes.

How do I pay taxes and utility bills?

Payment can be made by cash, cheque, money order or debit card at the Village Office. Property taxes and utility bills can be paid by credit card.  Payment can also be made by your mortgage company. Payment by way of post-dated cheque is encouraged. Send the cheque with your completed and signed Home Owner Grant application to the Village Office. Leave plenty of time for mail delivery, as postmarks will NOT be considered as date of payment.

What is the Home Owner Grant? Am I eligible to claim it?

The Home Owner Grant is a grant provided by the British Columbia Government to qualified owners of residential property. 

If you qualify for the home owner grant, you must apply each year to receive the grant on your principal residence. 

Your principal residence is the usual place that you make your home. It’s where you live and conduct your daily affairs, like pay bills and receive mail. It’s also generally the residence used in your government records for your income tax, medical services plan, driver’s licence and vehicle registration.

The grant must be claimed each year. The application form is attached to the bottom of your tax notice or may be claimed online here.

The best time to apply for the Home Owner Grant is in May after people have received both their BC Assessment notice and their municipal or rural property tax notice. Assessment roll and jurisdiction numbers are needed to apply.

The Basic Home Owner Grant is up to $770 which includes the Northern and Rural Area Homeowner Benefit of $200. However, it cannot reduce the amount payable to below $350. To be eligible, you must:

  • be a permanent resident of British Columbia
  • be living in the house at the time you claim the grant, and
  • be shown on the title as a registered owner.

The grant cannot be claimed on vacant land. Only ONE grant is allowed for each property, and you can only claim the grant once each year. When there are joint owners or multiple owners on title, any ONE owner on the title can claim the grant. If the property is registered to a company, no grant can be claimed. If your mortgage company is paying your taxes, you must still complete the Grant application and ensure it is received by the Village by the tax due date to avoid Penalty charges.

An additional grant of up to $275 is available for seniors (age 65 or will be turning 65 in the current year) and persons with permanent physical disabilities. However, it cannot reduce the amount payable to below $100. Please ensure you enter the date of your birth. If you are a person with disabilities, or are the spouse or relative of a person with disabilities and that person lives with you, you may be eligible for the disability grant. The disability must be permanent and must require extensive physical assistance or costly modifications to the home to be eligible. Your doctor must complete the appropriate form to certify the disability. These forms are available at the Village Municipal Office.

If the registered owner of the property is recently deceased, a relative may claim the grant, but only if they were living with the deceased at time of death, and a re living in the home when they claim the grant.

New owners, whose names are not yet on the property tax notice, must produce a copy of their Certificate of Title when claiming the Home Owner Grant.

For more information, contact the Property Tax Department at (250) 547-2171.